German Village is one of Columbus’ original neighborhoods with roots stretching back to 1802. The area began from John McGowan’s 328 acre allotment of land in an area of Central Ohio known as the “refugee tract” -- an area of appropriated lands that were provided to veterans that supported the Colonies’ cause in the American Revolutionary War. By the 1830s the area had attracted a significant population of German settlers and by 1865 the area was a bustling neighborhood. Until the 1960s the area experienced a decline and disinvestment until a group of neighbors banded together to form one of Columbus’ first neighborhood commissions. The commission was successful in preserving many of the original buildings that were scheduled for demolition. The area has transformed into one of Columbus’ most recognizable neighborhoods with some of the most highly-desirable real estate. Cobblestone streets and period architecture abound in this historic downtown neighborhood -- added into the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
IDX information provided courtesy of the Columbus Board of Realtors MLS. IDX information is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use, and it may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. The data is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed accurate by the MLS. Updated: 4th February, 2023 10:14 PM (UTC)